WHO Says Ebola Outbreak In Congo Could Be Over By September

Credit: Newsy Studio
Published on March 15, 2019 - Duration: 01:09s

WHO Says Ebola Outbreak In Congo Could Be Over By September

The organization's director-general said the number of new cases being reported each week is down since January.

Advertisement

WHO Says Ebola Outbreak In Congo Could Be Over By September

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo could be  completely contained  by September.

That's according to the director-general of the World Health Organization.

He  told reporters  Thursday the number of new cases being reported each week is down since January.

At least 927  confirmed and probable cases of the Ebola virus have been reported since the outbreak was declared back in August.

More than 580 of those people have died.

It's the  second-largest  Ebola outbreak in history.

The largest outbreak on record occurred in West Africa and killed  more than 11,300 people  between 2014 and 2016.  On Thursday, the WHO said the majority of new cases being reported in Congo are now occurring in just two neighboring urban areas.  But  the director-general warned  that more attacks on Ebola treatment centers could end up reversing any positive gains made so far.

He noted that finding ways to protect aid workers and patients and building trust in the community are both essential to ending the outbreak.

You are here

Recent related videos from verified sources

DR Congo Ebola clinic in North Kivu attacked 02:16
Credit: Al Jazeera STUDIO - Published 2 weeks ago 

Ebola Deaths In Congo Exceed 1,000 00:52
Credit: Wochit - Published 3 weeks ago 

Ebola in DR Congo 'not a public health emergency' 02:38
Credit: Al Jazeera STUDIO - Published on April 13, 2019 

WHO: Congo Ebola Outbreak Not an International Emergency 01:08
Credit: Newsy Studio - Published on April 12, 2019 

You might like