Pompeo sees more North Korea talks after Hanoi flop

Credit: Reuters Studio
Published on March 5, 2019 - Duration: 01:41s

Pompeo sees more North Korea talks after Hanoi flop

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday he was hopeful the United States would send a delegation to North Korea in the coming weeks, after a summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ended with no deal.

Zachary Goelman reports.

Advertisement

Pompeo sees more North Korea talks after Hanoi flop

The U.S. is still optimistic about reaching a nuclear deal with North Korea.

A week following an historic second summit between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un abruptly ended without agreement, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he's still pressing for an accord.

(SOUNDBITE) (English) SECRETARY OF STATE MIKE POMPEO, SAYING: "We didn't get there this past trip, in spite of lots of hard work that was done by State Department team DOD team, all the folks the Department of Energy over the past weeks working with the North Koreans to try and outline what a real big deal would look like.

We didn't get there.

And so I am hopeful, although I have no commitment yet that we will be back at it -- that I'll have a team in Pyongyang in the next couple of weeks.

I continue to work to find those places where there's a shared interest." The summit held last week in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi, failed to produce any agreement or a plan for follow-up negotiations.

And the two sides gave different reasons for the sudden end to the talks about denuclearization on the Korean peninsula.

Trump said that North Korea wanted the sanctions lifted in their entirety, while North Korea's foreign minister said they had only demanded a partial easing in exchange for dismantling its main nuclear site.

Upon the leaders' return, both sides tried to present the diplomatic failure as a success.

(SOUNDBITE) (Korean) KRT NEWS READER SAYING: "Supreme leader Kim Jong Un successfully finished the official goodwill visit to the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and left Hanoi on March 2nd." (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER JOHN BOLTON, SAYING: "Well I don't consider the summit a failure.

I consider it a success defined as the president protecting and advancing American national interest." The U.S. said Trump gave up nothing in meeting Kim.

But on Saturday Washington said it would suspend annual large-scale military drills with South Korea normally held in the spring.

North Korea has long condemned the combined exercises, which it calls a โ€œrehearsal for war.โ€ South Korean officials said smaller drills will continue, but ending large-scale exercises could help the nuclear talks between Washington and Pyongyang.

You are here

Recent related videos from verified sources

South Korean Snipers Will Reportedly Shoot Infected North Korean Pigs 00:41
Credit: Geo Beats - Published 11 hours ago 

Fears African swine fever in North Korea could spread to South 02:15
Credit: Al Jazeera STUDIO - Published 6 days ago 

You might like