Trump withdraws U.S. troops from Turkey-Syria border

Credit: TomoNews US
Published on October 8, 2019 - Duration: 01:57s

Trump withdraws U.S. troops from Turkey-Syria border

SYRIA — America's Kurdish allies have been left in the dust after Trump decided to suddenly up and withdraw U.S. Troops from Syria.

According to The Guardian, the U.S. and Turkey established an arrangement in August to carry out joint patrols along a 'safe zone' on the Turkey-Syria border and keep Turkish and Kurdish troops apart.

But on Monday, the U.S. began pulling its troops, leaving the Kurds to face a possible Turkish invasion alone.

Prior to the withdrawal, Turkey had proposed to extend the safe zone deeper in Syria to resettle non-Kurdish Syrian refugees there.

The plan was opposed by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Front, or SDF, who Turkey considers terrorists.

According to Reuters, U.S. withdrawal of troops and military vehicles from key positions on the border effectively gives Turkey a green light to move into the area.

On Monday, the Turkish defence ministry declared in a Twitter post that preparations for a possible military operation into Syria are completed.

SDF Spokesman Mustafa Bali accused the U.S. of leaving to turn the area into a warzone, but added that SDF will defend northeast Syria at all costs.

Trump's decision has received much backlash from both Republicans and Democrats.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called it a threat to regional security, while Senate leader Mitch McConnell worried it might increase the risk of ISIS and other terrorist organizations regrouping.

Trump has also been accused of betraying the very same Kurdish fighters that helped defeat ISIS, and sending a dangerous message that U.S. partners aren't to be trusted.

Even as his administration.

According to The Guardian, the Trump administration had insisted it wasn't supporting a Turkish offensive.

A senior administration official later claimed that troops were pulled back from the border, but won't be leaving Syria.

Instead, he says the soldiers will be redeployed to more secure positions inside the country.

Eventually, dear old Orange took it upon himself to hammer home his non-support of Turkey's invasion plans, threatening via tweet to "decimate Turkey's economy" if it does anything off-limits.

Advertisement

You are here

Recent related news from verified sources

Donald Trump had earlier ordered a complete withdrawal of US forces from Syria, a decision which set the stage for Turkey's cross-border invasion.
1 week ago • Brisbane Times

The Trump administration now says a small number of U.S. troops may stay in Syria. The shift comes after the president's plan to withdraw all American forces was...
6 days ago • CBS News

Recent related videos from verified sources

Erdogan says returned Trump's 'Don't be a fool' letter 01:36
Credit: Reuters Studio - Published 5 days ago 

Turkish troops fired on Syria protesters: witness 01:08
Credit: Reuters Studio - Published 6 days ago 

You might like