US to Let Americans Sue Companies Doing Business in Cuba

Credit: Newsy Studio
Published on April 17, 2019 - Duration: 01:48s

US to Let Americans Sue Companies Doing Business in Cuba

Americans who had property confiscated by Cuba after the 1959 revolution will soon be allowed to sue.

Advertisement

US to Let Americans Sue Companies Doing Business in Cuba

The Trump administration has announced it will allow U.S. citizens to sue foreign companies doing business in Cuba.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo  said Wednesday  the administration will begin enforcing a long-suspended provision of the Helms-Burton Act.

This will let Americans who had property seized after Cuba's 1959 revolution file suit against companies that operate out of those properties.

Pompeo said the decision to enforce the 1996 act "in full means a chance at justice for Cuban Americans who have long sought relief for Fidel Castro and his lackeys seizing properties without compensation." Every U.S. president since the act's inception has suspended the provision to avoid a bevy of lawsuits and diplomatic issues, particularly with the EU, since many European countries have business ties in Cuba.

Last week,  the EU threatened to sue the U.S.  at the World Trade Organization if it proceeded with the move.

National security adviser John Bolton revealed even more measures the administration was taking against Cuba during a speech in Miami marking the 58th anniversary of the Bay of Pigs invasion.

"The department of the treasury will implement further regulatory changes to restrict non-family travel to Cuba," Bolton said.

"We are also announcing 5 additions to the Cuba restricted list, which prohibits direct financial transactions with entities tied to Cuba's military, intelligence and security services and personnel.

We will also be announcing new limits on remittances to Cuba ... our new limits will be $1,000 per person per quarter." The move is likely an effort by the U.S. to force Cuba to back off its support of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro.

During his speech, Bolton said, "Havana continues to prop up Maduro and help him sustain the brutal suffering of the Venezuelan people.

As President Trump has said, Maduro is quite simply a 'Cuban puppet.'" Pompeo said the provision will go into effect on May 2.

A  spokesperson for the State Department  said the Justice Department confirmed about $2 billion worth of property has been confiscated in Cuba.

Additional reporting from  Newsy affiliate CNN .

You are here

Recent related videos from verified sources

Trump Administration Puts New Ban On Cuban Travel 00:40
Credit: Wochit - Published 2 weeks ago 

Marijuana Stocks Trade Higher Than Alcohol And Tobacco Despite Not Being Able To Operate In US 00:38
Credit: Wochit Business - Published on May 25, 2019 

Americans Who Had Property Seized In Cuba Can Now Sue Island's Business Partners 01:56
Credit: CBS4 Miami - Published on May 2, 2019 

TurboTax Hid Its Free Tax-Filing Pages From Google Searches 00:47
Credit: Wochit - Published on April 28, 2019 

You might like