At Least 49 Dead After Mosque Attacks In New Zealand

Credit: Newsy Studio
Published on March 15, 2019 - Duration: 01:27s

At Least 49 Dead After Mosque Attacks In New Zealand

Police say one of three people arrested in connection with the attacks has been charged with murder.

Advertisement

At Least 49 Dead After Mosque Attacks In New Zealand

At least 49 people are dead and dozens of others  are wounded  following shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday.

"This is one of New Zealand's darkest days," Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said.

"Clearly what has happened is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence." New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush said four people were taken into custody after the attacks.

He said none of them were on any active watch list.

One of them — a man in his late 20s — has been  charged with murder .

He's scheduled to appear in court Saturday morning.

Authorities later confirmed that one of the other three people detained was not involved in the incident.

The attacks on the two mosques occurred while people were inside both for Friday prayers.  Multiple reports say  one of the suspected gunmen broadcast live footage of one of the shootings online.

Police later called on the public not to share the footage and Facebook confirmed it had removed both the video and the account associated with it.

Police say officers also discovered two improvised explosive devices attached to a vehicle as part of the attack.

Bush told reporters Friday authorities had already disabled at least one of the devices.

The city of Christchurch was  still on lockdown  late Friday night local time as police continued to investigate the attacks.

Additional reporting from  Newsy affiliate CNN .

You are here

Recent related news from verified sources

A New Zealand man was jailed for 21 months on Tuesday for distributing gruesome the live stream video of the Christchurch mosque attacks that killed 51 Muslim...
17 hours ago • Firstpost

[New Zealand], May 21 (ANI): The man accused of shooting dead 51 people in Christchurch mosque attacks, has been charged with terrorism, New Zealand police said...
1 week ago • Sify

CHRISTCHURCH (NEW ZEALAND) - The man accused of shooting dead 51 Muslim worshippers in the Christchurch mosque attacks in March smiled Friday as his lawyers...
5 days ago • Bangkok Post

[USA], May 15 (ANI): Egyptian scholar-producer Moez Masoud will be helming 'Hello Brother', a film about the terror attacks that took place on two mosques in...
1 week ago • Sify

Recent related videos from verified sources

New Zealand Mosque Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty To 51 Murders 00:33
Credit: Wochit - Published 4 days ago 

Prince William Commemorates Anzac Day And Visits Christchurch 00:47
Credit: HuffPost UK STUDIO - Published on April 25, 2019 

New Zealand, France to host summit in bid to stop extremist content on social media 02:34
Credit: Euronews English - Published on April 24, 2019 

Sri Lanka Bombings 'Carried Out in Retaliation' for New Zealand Mosque Attacks: Officials 00:56
Credit: KTLA - Published on April 23, 2019 

Sri Lankan Bombings Believed To Be Revenge For New Zealand Mosque Killings 00:42
Credit: Wochit - Published on April 23, 2019 

Over 300 Dead As Sri Lanka Reels From Devastating Bomb Attacks 01:43
Credit: HuffPost UK STUDIO - Published on April 23, 2019 

One Nation's Hanson Slams Shorten for 'Soft' Sri Lanka Response 01:00
Credit: Storyful Studio - Published on April 22, 2019 

You might like