Santa Anita cancels racing after latest horse death

Credit: Reuters - Sports
Published on March 6, 2019 - Duration: 01:12s

Santa Anita cancels racing after latest horse death

Santa Anita Park cancels horse racing indefinitely after the latest in a series of horse fatalities at the renowned track.

Advertisement

Santa Anita cancels racing after latest horse death

VIDEO SHOWS: ARCHIVE IMAGES OF THE SANTA ANITA RACE TRACK SHOWS: ARCADIA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - NOVEMBER 2012) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1.

VIEW OF SANTA ANITA HORSE RACING TRACK WITH MOUNTAINS IN BACKGROUND 2.

HORSE STATUE/SIGN FOR SANTA ANITA RACE TRACK IN BACKGROUND 3.

HORSE ON RACETRACK 4.

SIGN READING: "BREEDERS CUP" 5.

JOCKEYS ON HORSES IN FOG 6.

VARIOUS OF SPECTATORS GATHERED 7.

VARIOUS OF HORSES ON GALLOPING ON TRACK 8.

SPECTATORS 9.

MORE OF HORSE ON RACE COURSE STORY: Santa Anita Park has canceled horse racing indefinitely after the latest in a series of horse fatalities at the renowned track.

The track has now suffered 21 fatalities since the winter meet began on Dec.

26.

Santa Anita also announced on Tuesday (March 5) that it has hired Dennis Moore, the former track superintendent, as a consultant to help lead a study of the track surface that is causing deaths.

The California Horse Racing Board is also investigating the matter.

The announcement of suspension comes as the track was set to host a big racing weekend that featured the Santa Anita Handicap for older horses and the San Felipe Stakes for 3-year-old Kentucky Derby hopefuls.

Mick Peterson, an expert from the University of Kentucky on surfaces who was brought in last week to examine the track, acknowledged a shut-down may be necessary prior to the decision.

"If you can't figure it out, you have to quit racing," Peterson told the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday.

"I've told (racing secretary) Steve Lym, keep testing until we know what's going on.

We're all in.

We're going to figure it out." (Production: Omar Younis)

You are here

Recent related news from verified sources

Santa Anita has denied the California Horse Racing Board's request for the track to suspend racing following the death of another horse on Saturday.
1 week ago • ESPN

ARCADIA, Calif. (AP) — U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein has joined the California Horse Racing Board in calling for Santa Anita to immediately suspend the remainder...
1 week ago • Seattle Times

Recent related videos from verified sources

Santa Anita Racetrack To Make Changes After 29 Deaths 00:40
Credit: Wochit - Published 5 days ago 

Independent Team To Determine Whether Horses Safe To Race At Santa Anita 02:29
Credit: CBS2 LA - Published 5 days ago 

California Governor Wants Santa Anita To Stop Horse Racing 00:47
Credit: Wochit - Published 6 days ago 

Governor Calls For Halt In Races After 2 More Horses Euthanized At Santa Anita Park 00:37
Credit: KCAL 9 CBS LA - Published 6 days ago 

Santa Anita Park Will Not Close Despite Two More Horse Deaths Over the Weekend 02:06
Credit: KTLA - Published 1 week ago 

Last Week Of Racing At Santa Anita Park To Continue Even After 2 More Horse Deaths 02:11
Credit: CBS2 LA - Published 1 week ago 

2 More Horses Euthanized At Santa Anita Park 02:48
Credit: CBS2 LA - Published 1 week ago 

Santa Anita Sees 27th Horse Death Of The Season 00:26
Credit: CBS2 LA - Published 1 week ago 

You might like