The U.K.’s Leading Art Fair for Independent and Emerging Artists Announces
The Los Angeles Edition’s Artists, Programming, On-site Activations and More
Nearly 60% of Exhibiting Artists are Women
SANTA MONICA, Calif., March 06, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Other Art Fair (“TOAF” or the “Fair”) presented by Saatchi Art, the U.K.’s leading art fair for discovering emerging artists, announces its on-site programming and special features for the Los Angeles edition taking place March 15-18, 2018. The Fair will be held at The Majestic Downtown, a historic landmark building located in downtown Los Angeles, and will feature 100 top emerging artists, including some of Southern California’s most promising new talent as well as artists from around the world.
“For our Los Angeles debut we wanted the experiences and activations at the Fair to be reflective of the personality and energy of the city,” said Ryan Stanier, founder of The Other Art Fair. “From immersive art installations by some of LA’s most talented artists to an expertly curated music and food program, The Other Art Fair brings art to life in every medium and creates a fun, relaxed atmosphere for discovering artists both from Los Angeles and across the globe.”
Unlike traditional art fairs where typically gallery exhibitors are selling artists' work, The Other Art Fair gives buyers unparalleled direct access to artists, and pairs emerging art with experiential programming, appealing to both experienced and first-time art collectors. The Fair has long been committed to women’s empowerment and creating opportunity for all independent artists and the inaugural Los Angeles edition is no exception, as nearly 60% of artists participating are women.
The Saatchi Art Talks Program, led by Saatchi Art’s Chief Curator and Selection Committee member Rebecca Wilson, will gather artists such as BAFTA and Emmy Award-winning multidisciplinary artist Gary Baseman, Icelandic born/London-based Kristjana Williams known for her commissions for the V&A Museum, Penhaligon's and Paul Smith; cultural influencers including Variety senior VP and awards editor Tim Gray; Kenneth Schlenker, founder/partner of Stellar Base, formerly CMO of artnet; and “Artists As Activists” with Chantal Barlow of the Unconventional Apology Project, a portrait and interview series giving voice to survivors of domestic abuse.
Below are some of the highlighted fair features:
· Carly Kuhn, aka The Cartorialist, will present an exclusive site-specific installation in the Saatchi Art Lounge featuring her minimal and light-hearted single-line illustrations
· Saatchi Art Artist-in-Residence Kelly Brumfield-Woods will introduce the Glitter Chamber, an immersive, dazzling art installation for a sparkling and colorful Instagram moment
· Portrait artist Carl Gauer will offer live two-hour portrait sessions for purchase. Limited spaces are available on a first come, first served basis
· Independent art and pop-culture bookshop pop-up with Hat and Beard Press
· Illustrator and writer, Hallie Bateman, will be creating her miniature custom “Artistic License” illustrations onsite
· Rhythms Of Vision (Kassia Meador and Farmer Dave Scher) will create an hour-long meditative sound bath experience presented by Echo Park's The Deep End Club, a community clubhouse for art and activism. Limited spaces are available with advance registration at an additional purchase price
· Live radio program and DJ sets throughout the weekend, curated and hosted by non-profit radio station Dublab and Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles
· PBJ.LA, Adam Fleischman’s organic peanut butter & jam sandwich eatery, will serve up its inventive creations as the official food partner
· Bulleit Frontier Whiskey Neon Bar featuring abstract neon sculptures by 'The Neon Queen' Lisa Schulte
· Guinness’ signature stout will be served in celebration of St. Patrick's Day
· In celebration of the Fair’s official Charity Partner, CoachArt, artist Davia King will create an interactive live portrait mural
The artists exhibiting at the Fair are chosen by a panel of influential art experts and tastemakers to ensure fair visitors are given access to the most promising and talented emerging artists. This year’s Los Angeles selection committee includes: Rebecca Wilson, Chief Curator and VP, Art Advisory at Saatchi Art; Lauri Firstenberg, artistic director of there-there and founder of LAXART; André Saraiva, world-renowned street artist; Claire L. Evans, writer, artist, and co-founder of the app 5 Every Day; and Kelly Nyland, a pioneer in the field of emerging tech.
To learn more about The Other Art Fair, visit www.theotherartfair.com. Purchase tickets for TOAF Los Angeles here
Thursday, March 15th: 6pm-10pm
Tickets $30 USD
Friday, March 16th: 3pm-10pm
Saturday, March 17th: 1pm-10pm
Sunday, March 18th: 11am-6pm
Tickets $15 USD Adults, $13.50 USD Students and Seniors
*About The Other Art Fair*
The Other Art Fair presented by Saatchi Art, the leading artist fair for discovering emerging artists, provides a platform for artists to present and sell their work directly to art buyers. Using a selection committee of art experts and a guest curator, each fair presents more than 100 artists and their work, enabling both collectors and first-time buyers to purchase directly from emerging artists. Over 6 years, The Other Art Fair has hosted 20 fairs working with over 1,000 artists from more than 20 countries. Unlike “other” fairs, The Other Art Fair creates an accessible and open fair designed for visitors to enjoy an interactive and immersive experience while also directly interacting with the presenting artists. www.theotherartfair.com
*About Saatchi Art*
Saatchi Art features the world’s largest selection of original art and helps people all over the world find art and artists they love. The online art gallery offers more than 1 million original paintings, drawings, sculptures and photographs by over 110,000 emerging artists from over 100 countries. Saatchi Art is redefining the experience of buying and selling art by providing art lovers with free art advisory services and an expertly curated selection of art, while giving artists a convenient and welcoming environment in which to exhibit and sell their work. To discover the world of Saatchi Art, please visit www.saatchiart.com. Saatchi Online, Inc., which operates Saatchi Art, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leaf Group Ltd. (NYSE:LFGR).
*Press Contact:* Mia Mendez - firstname.lastname@example.org - 310.917.6433
The Other Art Fair Presented by Saatchi Art Makes its Los Angeles Premiere
March 6, 2018